The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation) is a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the Foundation. Located in Los Altos, CA, the Foundation makes grants at the local, state, national, and international level.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, which are:
- Improving the lives of children
- Enabling the creative pursuit of science
- Advancing reproductive health
- Conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems
- Supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations
For 2013, the Foundation expects to make grantmaking awards of approximately $287M. A staff of 110 conducts the day-to-day operations and a Board of Trustees oversees the work of the Foundation. David and Lucile Packard passed on to the Foundation the following core set of values: integrity; respect for all people; belief in individual leadership; commitment to effectiveness; and the capacity to think big. More information about the Foundation can be found at www.packard.org.
The Organizational Effectiveness (OE) Program is seeking a program associate to support and enhance the work of our team. The OE program is rooted in the belief that organizations are more effective when they are equipped with the fundamentals of thoughtful strategy, strong leadership, and sound operations. We partner with grantees, helping them strengthen these fundamentals so they can focus on achieving their missions. We make grants to key gran tees of the Foundation to build their core strengths in areas like strategic and business planning, financial management, board and executive leadership, and communications capacity. We also make grants to build these capacities among groups of leaders and cohorts of grantees, through initiatives called Partnership Projects—so that nonprofit leaders can share knowledge, learn from their peers, and grow their networks.
We are looking for a program associate who enjoys a variety of work, has great judgment skills, and has the desire to contribute to the work of the Packard Foundation and its grantees. This position reports to the Director of Organizational Effectiveness Grantmaking and is part of the Organizational Effectiveness, Philanthropy, and President’s Fund department of the Foundation, which also makes grants to strengthen the field of philanthropy and administers discretionary grantmaking on behalf of the Foundation President and Board of Trustees.
- Process OE grants from letter of inquiry through the post-award process, including creating, organizing, maintaining, and updating accurate electronic grant files
- Communicate via email, telephone, and in-person with grantees and others
- Conduct analytical assignments as requested such as tracking and reporting on year-end grantee data
- Organize, track, and file data; run regular and customized reports
- Support the grantee reporting process by sending reminders, reviewing reports, and coordinating with consultant evaluators as appropriate
Administrative and Departmental
- Anticipate and schedule meetings for the program, and ensure materials are available prior to meetings
- Provide administrative support to the VP and Director of Programs and the Director of Organizational Effectiveness Grantmaking:
- Schedule meetings
- Arrange travel, including complex international travel and preparing background materials and itineraries
- Complete expense reports
- Act as a liaison with colleagues of the VP and the Director
- Handle confidential and non-routine information
- Help to design and maintain the organizational effectiveness wiki (http://packard-foundation-oe.wikispaces.com/) and engage in other social media activities
- Compose routine correspondence and presentations. Proofread and edit documents, as requested
- Sort and prioritize mail and email
- Keep records of action items and follow up as necessary
- Work to enhance and improve department processes and increase efficiencies
- Represent the team and the Foundation in a positive way in all interactions
- Provide occasional support to other functions and back-up others
- Handle special projects as assigned
Skills and Requirements
- A passion for helping to support and develop outstanding nonprofit leaders, organizations, and networks
- Excellent judgment skills and orientation to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with attention to written grammar
- Excellent technical skills, including proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; database experience desired
- Technology and media savvy; fluency in common social media platforms and comfortable learning new technology tools for organizing and communicating work
- Data visualization experience or an interest in visual design thinking and presentation a plus
- Ability to work independently and on a team, manage time efficiently and meet timelines, handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and remain calm and constructive under pressure
- Reliable and judgment to take initiative when necessary
- Ability to organize work for easy retrieval and reporting and use and develop tracking systems
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate information needed as work develops
- Demonstrated skill in building relationships that smooth work; work well with others in a professional, courteous, culturally sensitive, and tactful manner
- Willingness and flexibility to work occasional overtime
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Education and Experience
BA degree preferred with a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant administrative support work experience
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. This position is full-time and nonexempt.
Please send an email referring to job number 13-16-3930 in the subject line with a one page resume and a one page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com.
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants. Principal applicants only.