For more than 93 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU) has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country.Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC, and Puerto Rico, and brings together the country’s largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists, members, and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
The Information Technology Department (IT)of the National office in New York City is seeking applicants for a full-time Senior Technologist.
The Senior Technologist will be responsible for leading architecture, implementation, and technical management of ACLU Internet-facing technologies, which include public websites, data stores, and integrated external and internal systems used for advocacy, email marketing, and online fundraising. The Senior Technologist will also have a central role in the design and implementation of the next generation of enabling technologies, including those that support interactions with the public in rapid response to the news cycle and that address the ACLU’s privacy and security concerns.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead development, configuration, integration, testing, and troubleshooting of tools and functionality for ACLU websites, integrated data store, email marketing, and advocacy technologies;
- Manage architecture, administration, and monitoring of integration services;
- Build and maintain extract, transform, and load (ETL) data integration processes as necessary between databases and other data sources;
- Research, propose, plan, estimate, and lead development of solutions for new website and data store needs;
- Lead technical maintenance of and on-going development for the ACLU's websites, including projects related to implementation and troubleshooting for CMS and data store applications;
- Lead development of custom ACLU micro-sites as required, based on ACLU technical practices and internal client requirements;
- Keep abreast of ACLU security and privacy policies, responding to new or changing systems with development of inventive solutions for privacy or security;
- Lead technical design, coding, and review of automated tests of website and data store functionality, and architect/monitor CI environments;
- Participate in code reviews;
- Assist in evaluation, selection, and management of vendors and consultants;
- Architecting and supporting database applications and file-based structured data to facilitate the work of other ACLU departments;
- Assisting in the support and training of users of data-centric software applications;
- Assisting in the development of technical documentation.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field such as Mathematics or Engineering preferred;
- Three to five years relevant work experience, which should include a minimum of two years of technical leadership;
- Experience with database applications, ETL tools, client/server solutions, and SQL query language;
- Familiarity with Java and JMS preferred;
- Solid understanding of and working knowledge of content management systems;
- Solid understanding of and working knowledge of database performance tuning practices and techniques;
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix/BSD command-line tools and shell scripting;
- Back-end experience with Drupal 6 and/or 7 preferred;
- Experience with BI tools (e.g., Pentaho) and ESB/integration frameworks (e.g. Mule) preferred;
- Experience with CRM and e-commerce applications preferred;
- Experience and community involvement with open-source applications preferred;
- Experience working with development vendors and interdepartmental teams;
- Excellent programming and problem solving skills;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Passion for civil liberties and civil rights, especially regarding privacy and security.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements), a resume and the phone numbers of three references by email to hrjobsINTE@aclu.org - include [RE: INTE-16/PND] in the subject line.
Alternatively applications can be mailed to:
American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: HRJobsINCLReq@aclu.org. Correspondence sent to this address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”